Measurement Separation

General Explanation

The Water Evaluation Law in Israel states that all property will be installed with a main water-meter, and each water-consumer in the property will also have a sub-meter (per apartment). Water consumption for each apartment is assessed according to the apartment water-meter reading, in addition to an equal part of the joint consumption as indicated on the property’s main water-meter. “Joint consumption” refers to general water consumption such as for gardening and washing the stairwell area; obvious or concealed leakages in the joint water network; and standard measurement deviations of the water-meters.
Until 1955, the law permitted installation of one joint meter for a whole building, without monitoring each and every apartment. Therefore, even now, old structures exist that have only one joint meter installed for the whole building. In these cases, the water bill is divided amongst the tenants. Water consumption is divided by the number of persons who consume water in each asset, as well as the charge for joint consumption. This calculation method does not allow a correct division of the water consumption for each separate apartment, and accordingly for the water bill charge, and therefore does not encourage water saving.
Hagihon enables its consumers living in such old buildings, to separate themselves from their measurement “partners”, by the installation of a separate water-meter for their individual apartments. This move obliges the consumer to build a separate, private water-pipe system for his apartment, and to disconnect from the joint water network. This procedure is known in the company as “Measurement Separation”.
Request for measurement separation
A consumer interested in measurement separation is requested to first check  for himself, via a private plumber, the feasibility and the cost of installing a private water pipeline (from the water-meter up to his apartment), separate from the pipeline system of the rest of the building’s apartments. Similarly, the consumer must check for himself the feasibility of disconnecting from the joint plumbing system. It sometimes turns out that carrying out separate internal plumbing can be a difficult and very costly task, and in such a case, the consumer should consider very carefully if he has the means to carry out the operation.
After assuring himself that he really can carry out the a/m separate private plumbing, and deciding that he is prepared to pay the cost of such work, the consumer can contact Hagihon, with a request for the installation of a separate water-meter. The request includes payment of a “measurement separation fee” as stated in the Jerusalem by-law (Water Supply), 1960, section 3 (f). The aim of the fee is to cover the company’s expenses in installing a separate water-meter, and the required administrative changes. The company will examine the request and will advise the consumer is the operation is possible. It sometimes emerges that for various reasons, installing a separate meter is not possible, therefore the company is obliged to examine each request individually. In a case where separate meter installation is found to be impossible, the consumer will be fully reimbursed for the fee he has paid.
On presenting the request for measurement separation, the consumer will confirm in a declaration, in the version found herein, that he is aware of all his obligations in regard to measurement separation.
Preparations for a separate water meter
After completion of the clarifications, Hagihon will install preparatory arrangements for the consumer’s separate water-meter and will notify him on the work’s execution (at this stage, the water-meter will not yet be installed: this is only preparatory work).
Connection to a separate water-meter and disconnection from the joint plumbing system
After Hagihon has carried out the preparatory stage for the separate water-meter, the consumer will contact a private plumber, in order to arrange a separate water pipeline for the consumer, and to connect the separate pipeline to the pipe prepared by Hagihon. There is still no water-meter at this stage. During this connection work, the plumber must disconnect the apartment from the joint water network. The consumer and the plumber must carry out comprehensive tests to prove that the disconnection has really been performed, and that indeed no connection remains between the building’s joint water network and the independent water pipeline of the consumer’s apartment. Hagihon recommends that the consumer ensure that the plumber signs that this has indeed been performed, on the form “Notification of Declaration”, found below.
Notification to Hagihon of water disconnection from the joint network and connection to the system prepared by the
On completion of the a/m operations (disconnection from the joint network and connection for preparation), the consumer must notify Hagihon Company, by or 565-1315 .
On receipt of the a/m notice, Hagihon will install a water-meter, and will implement the changes in its records so that the consumer will begin to receive a water bill based on the separate water-meter. Until receipt of the a/m notice, the consumer will continue to receive a bill based on the joint water-meter.
What's Up?
Come in for updates
Skip to content